Thread: Seam issue/paintable wallpaper

Thanks

Seam issue/paintable wallpaper

My wife and I have begun hanging paintable wallpaper. We hung three sheets last night, with what we thought were "perfect" seams. This morning, however, we have noticed that we now have seams barely 1/16" in size, as the paper has ever so slightly separated.

Is there a way to cover over or somehow paste the seams so as they will not be shown when we paint? Or is there any option that may help us repair/fix the seems without having to remove the wallpaper?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Martin

Thanks

Re: Seam issue/paintable wallpaper

Are you hanging what is commonly referred to as Anaglypta, a white, embossed paper with a fairly heavy raised pattern? I'd stop right where you've left off until we can determine what wall preparation and adhesive you are using.

I am not as worried about a slight gap in the seam that most likely could be spackled or hit with some caulking. Rather, I'm thinking the seams are splitting due to wall prep or adhesive choice, and putting a coat or two of paint on it will exacerbate the effect.

If you could give us as many details regarding the paper, and how you went about installing it, that would make it easier to nail down the problem, if any.

Jeff

Resistance is Futile, you will be assimilated Bill Archibald's Avatar
    Thanks

Martin,

Before you fret too much, slight seam separation is quite normal, especially for the DIY'er. Even some of us "experts" encounter seam separation even with proper paste and preparation (don't ask ).

BUT Jeff is absolutely correct in asking for the particulars of the material and procedures. We can better steer you toward the best approach if we know the full story. And just in case you did miss a step or make a bad one, we can suggest a remediation before you go further.

Also, tell us what paint you plan to paint over the paper. There are a lot of poor ones at the big box stores. Would hate to see you spend a lot of time and energy hanging the paper just to choose a low performance paint.

-Bill

Thanks

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...00L&lpage=none

Hey guys, this is the link to the wallpaper we are using!!!

Thanks for your help, and let me know what you think!

Martin

Thanks

We have basically followed the instructions on the paper. Dip into water for 30 seconds, that let sit for 3-4 minutes before putting it on. I've noticed that it has a very thick glue/adhesive. We love the wallpaper, and we'd love to continue using it!!!

Also, we did put a primer on the previous wallpaper, so that the paintable would adhere better!

Also, we are using a flat based paint, that we used on the other walls in the room that were slightly "imperfect" so as to hide the imperfections as much as possible!

Martin

Thanks

Martin,

I had a feeling that it was a Norwall product, I just (yesterday) bought some myself for a project in my own home.

It says it is a "paintable vinyl" wallcovering, but most likely a vinyl coated paper. When faced with a prepasted paper, I NEVER dip and hang, I apply a thinned paste (Roman Professional 880 - also available at Lowes. Thinned 50-50 with water)

Most prepasteds, when you get them SO wet byu dipping, will shrink when dried. BUT, since you are painting it, there should not be an issue if you fill the seams CAREFULLY with caulk.

What I do have concerns about is your mentioning of " a primer on the previous wallpaper so that the paintable would adhere better". This is, IMO and experience a huge NO-NO. You are asking for trouble hanging on top of old wallpaper, unless that wallpaper is absolutely impossible to remove (usually when hung on top of raw sheetrock with no primer/sealer applied first). I could relate many a horror story about hanging on top of old wallpaper, but I don't want to give you a heart attack

You say you used a "flat based paint". I think you must have mis-typed. Oil? Acyrlic Latex? Vinyl Latex? Ultra cheap "builders flat" ? I would advise a premium (not from Lowes) 100% Acrylic Latex.

-Bill

NGPP Member
    Thanks

Hi Martin,

As Bill suggested for the seams that opened- caulk. A thin(small) bead of caulking will take care of things. With a damp sponge and very little pressure wipe across the seam following the flow of the pattern. The seam should disappear when painted.

For paint: Lowe's carries American Tradition(Valspar) and Valspar Ultra(gold label). Ultra is 100% acrylic and I think Amer Trad is also. The flat enamel is washable. Both are good, cover well and priced about $23.

The old paper and the primer concern me a bit but you didn't say the paper you hung caused big bubbles hanging from the ceiling...now that is good news!

With specifics on your primer we will have your room done in no time.
    Jim

Thanks

Jim

Lowe's paint is respectable? WOW, I guess they ain't the Homely Despot

Sorry if I spoke too soon, but I just do not trust the Big Boxes, although the last two times in Lowes, I have been better impressed than HD (but that ain't sayin much)

AND they carry 880 and 838 !!!!

-B.

Thanks

Lowe's paint is respectable?
    I don't think I would go quite that far BUT they ARE a whole lot better than Behr

Thread Information