Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swing brand Wallpaper Prep Coat

Thanks

Swing brand Wallpaper Prep Coat

I'm posting this on the public section to see how many of you use and like Prep Coat. I want to send this link to the Swing guys so they can get a sense of the interest out there for the product.

Frankly, I wonder what's going on with the product because they haven't gotten a shipment in the LA area for a while. Furthermore, there's a weird separation going on with the product itself inside the cans, and I wonder if they're playing around with the formula. Check the pictures out and you see for yourself.

Is anyone having trouble getting this product, and if so, have you been in contact with Swing? Just feeling paranoid that my favorite prep product is not going to always be there for me.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Last edited by Jeff Evans; 08-08-2007 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks

Mr

to see how many of you use and like Prep Coat.

As you know I do and like it even with what is (was) going on inside the can,if I was hanging any wallpaper on a regular basis I would order some directly from the source ,http://www.swingpaints.com/a_product..._wallpaper.htm
    not cheap but worth it to me,as it is a great product.

Thanks

Re: Swing brand Wallpaper Prep Coat

Good stuff. A pain to get.
    It made me question - do they really care about sales?

NGPP Member
    Thanks

There was an extended discussion of Prep Coat on the Boston Chapter site (available to members only). We, too, are having some problems getting the product. The local distributors stopped carrying it. A couple of our favorite retailers have agreed to special order for us as several of the Boston members like the product, including me.

One of the areas of discussion was the separating and difficulty in remixing the sediment. Apparently quite a few people are having this problem. When I first starting using Prep Coat many years ago I did have this problem. The sediment was like a rock at the bottom of the can. It took effort and time to get it mixed.

I stopped using Prep Coat for several years because it was hard to come by. But I liked it so much I gone back to it. Now I order 12 -24 gallons at a time just so I have it on hand. In that quantity my retailer doesn't mind special ordering.

In the three years I've currently been using the product I have had NO problems mixing. There is no sludge at the bottom of the can and it takes me a few minutes to stir it up.

I'm not sure why some places are having problems with the sludge. Maybe that's old stock. But if you can get the new stuff you'll love it.

Resistance is Futile, you will be assimilated Bill Archibald's Avatar
    Thanks

Both Barry and I received a number of cans from the last batch shipped to the Needham MA S-W. All the cans I have opened do have some significant solids settlement to the bottom (Nothing a good shaking did not alieviate). This settling was more than I experiencerd in the past, but still is not the "Mississippi Mud" situation Jeff is seeing. The lot number is 28009 (and then a smudge)

When you contact Swing please ask why there seems to be such an inconsistancy.

Jeff when you say "they haven't gotten a shipment" who is "they". Have "they" ordered one and Swing not shipped, or have "they" decided "they" need to order too much at one time to make it worth while?

The S-W store, at my request, ordered 40 gallons which enabled them to sell it to us for $17/gallon.

-Bill

Thanks

Thanks for the replies so far. I posted this on the public section for non members to be able to chime in. Nothing but chirping crickets so far, though.

Bill, I'm dealing with the Chaimberg's personally here. Eric is the brother of Marc, head chemist at Swing, and Eric is the VP of sales. He has an office in LA, and stocks shipments there. I've met him a few times, and I try to get people excited about this product and tell them that the Guild is a place where we talk about it all the time.

I emailed Eric a few weeks ago, because I was running low and wanted some. He told me he was out, and that I should order it online, which I did. Marc emailed me and said it was going to be a few weeks before they got a shipment here in the USA, so I was curious as to what was going on with them. I've never had this much trouble getting it, and I became worried.

I started this discussion in the hopes that a lot of hangers would chime in and that I could direct the Chaimberg's here to read it. But it looks so far like the demand isn't such that would warrant them going out of their way to get us the product. I hope I'm wrong, because the stuff is da bomb, as they say.

NGPP Member
    Thanks

I have to hang a Thibault unpasted paper in an old mansion built in the 1800's with plaster walls. What would be the best primer? Supposedly the painters primed, but I have no idea what they used and the surface feels a little gritty to me. I want to reprime but I don't usually hang over plaster so I could use some advice. Thanks! Susan

Thanks

Well, you can use Prep Coat, or Draw Tite. Gardz if you can't get DT. Prep Coat over Draw Tite is superior, but will take longer and cost them more. You said it was a mansion, so.......

Thanks

Susan,

In general, I find that a good sealer over plaster is the best first step. Draw Tite or Gardz are my sealers of choice. Over that, I like Pre Coat, which leaves a coating with "tooth" (not really "gritty" but also not super slick).

You mention plaster of the 1800's. That would make me think horse hair plaster as the base or scratch coat on wood lath. next would be the second coat or brown coat, and next a smooth finish coat. But sometimes the finish coat was not so smooth, but a little prous. Many variations of the theme were used in the 1800's. If that finish coat was porous, then all the more reasons for a primer/sealer.

that's the basic description.

But you say the painters have primed and it is "gritty". Will this "gritty" surface broadcast through the finish paper? If so, that should be alliviated. Will it sand or blade smooth? Is a liner called for?

If the primed surface is smooth enough for paper, then I would choose my favorite wallpaper prep coat, i.e., Swing Wallaper Prep Coat. Many other hangers have their favorites with which they have had much success.

It's a judgement call on your part.

-Bill

NGPP Member
    Thanks

Thanks Jeff and Bill. I'm going to start the job tomorrow. There will also be plasterers in the house so I'll talk to them. I usually use Gardz but didn't know if that was good over plaster. Jeff, is it possible for you to bring a sample of Swing to the convention. I'd really like to see what it's like for future jobs.

Thanks

I highly doubt I will be at the Convention. It might be only 100 odd miles from me, but I am absolutely slammed at work with deadlines. I've been in contact with the sales staff, and will tell them it would behoove them to have some there.

Jeff

TOOLGIRL!
    Thanks

I use this stuff all the time. Interestingly, it is stocked at the big box stores for DIY, but the paint stores don't carry it. They can get it though, as the company makes wood finishing products that they do carry. It does need a good stir or shake at the store, and what a primer! I think Steve Andrews is approaching them about becoming associate members - here's hoping he has some success.
    eunice

NGPP Member
    Thanks

I wish I could easily get Swing in my area, I can get it, but the store that carries it is out of the direction I mostly travel. It would be my #1 choice of primer in most cases. When I do happen to travel by said store, I buy a couple of cases.
    shelw,cp

Thanks

Mr

When I do happen to travel by said store,

Where??

Thanks

Jeff,

I was thinking of this subject today, as I was whisking and shaking a can.

Did you ever get a chance to email and get an answer to the question:
    "is there a difference to your product that would cause more significant settlement of solids and if so what can we do to allieviate??"

I gotta say, of the same batch the Bost Chapt bought a couple of months ago, the can I opened today appeared to have "coagulated" a little more.

My money is still on a combination of "revised" formula and shelf life.

-Bill

Thread Information