Thread: Draw tite

Rusty

Draw tite

I have a job that has alot of stained wood work and wood floors.The walls are all ready primed (not sure what type of primer was used)We are going to refloat some bad taping joints and then reprime the walls.I was thinking about using the clear non drip draws tite.I have never used any of there products before and I am a little nervous about using it under the wallpaper that I am installing.Materials like Pierre Frey,or Mauny that is a blocked paper.Total there is about 350 rolls. Any characteristics of the primer that I should know about? Rusty

NGPP Member
    Thanks

Re: Draw tite

Drawtite is a great product and does what it says - seals porous surfaces. It dries quickly over porous surfaces but take considerably longer over sealed surfaces. So, if the walls surrounding the patched areas are painted plan for longer drying time (still fairly quick).

I have, on one or two occasions, hung over drawtite without problem but I'm not sure removal will be easy. I like to put a coat of wallpaper primer (prepcoat is my preference) over the drawtite as that gives me all the characteristics I want for hanging wallpaper.

Thanks

I have, on one or two occasions, hung over drawtite without problem but I'm not sure removal will be easy.

NO problem at removal time !

Rusty

I ordered some draw tite, but I have another job that is about the same size as the last one I told you about. The painter also did the prep. When we inspected the job we noticed the primer had been sprayed on, We were a little concerned so we did a masking tape test in a few areas and the primer failed horribly. About 90 percent was adhered to the walls. After lenthly disccussions with the owners, which were the contractors, they did not want to strip the primer. We talked to Draw tite and they said the Draw tite primer would penetrate the existing primer and make it adhere to the walls. You could tell the paint contractor did not wash his walls. We floated out some bad spots, like always, sanded, washed, and primed the walls two coats of Draw tite, then finished it with one coat of Sherwin Williams prep rite wallcovering primer. We left the job for about a week and came back. The faux finishers had come through and blue taped all around the cabinets, doors, etc. Unfortunately, the painter came back again and he used masking tape and left it. Once the tape came off none of the primer came with it. We did masking test where we knew we had problems before. Everything was as tight as can be. Monday we will be installing a North Carolina historical wallpaper. Draw tite seems to have worked well. I had another 5 of Draw tite delivered. Rusty

Thread Information